This page is an incomplete list of book recommendations given to my church. It is updated about once a month as I make weekly recommendations of books to my church.
For lists that recommend commentaries and Bible study helps, click the links below:
- Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary Book List
- 850 Books for Bible Expositors by The Master’s Seminary
Current Series at First Baptist Church
Sunday Mornings: James
- A longer commentary – James by D. Edmond Hiebert. Revised Edition. Winona Lake, IN: BMH Books, 1997.
- A shorter commentary – James by Vernon D. Doerksen. Everyman’s Bible Commentary. Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1983.
Sunday Afternoons: Titus
- A longer commentary – Pastoral Epistles by William D. Mounce. Word Biblical Commentary. Dallas: Word, 2000.
- A shorter commentary – Titus and Philemon by D. Edmond Hiebert. Everyman’s Bible Commentary. Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1957.
Wednesday Evenings: The Life of Christ
- The Passion of the Servant: A Journey to the Cross by Don N Howell, Jr. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2009.
- Jesus According to Scripture: Restoring the Portrait from the Gospels by Darrell L. Bock and Benjamin I. Simpson. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2017.
- The First Days of Jesus by Andreas Kӧstenberger and Alexander Stewart. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2015.
- The Final Days of Jesus by Andreas Kӧstenberger, Justin Taylor, and Alexander Stewart. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2014.
- The Words and Works of Jesus Christ: A Study of the Life of Christ by J. Dwight Pentecost. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1981.
- Uprooting Anger by Robert D. Jones. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2005.
- The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for the Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children by Lou Priolo. Amityville, NY: Calvary Press, 1997.
- To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson by Courtney Anderson. King of Prussia, PA: Judson Press, 1987.
- Upright Downtime: Making Wise Choices About Entertainment by Brian Hand. Greenville, SC: BJU Press, 2008.
- Unpacking Forgiveness by Chris Brauns. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008.
- The Freedom and Power of Forgiveness by John MacArthur. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 1998.
- Knowing God by J. I. Packer. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1973.
- Trusting God by Jerry Bridges. Carol Stream, IL: NavPress, 2008.